How do you see the evolution of the newspaper in the next five years?
I think physical newspapers will continue to reduce in size and place a bigger emphasis on visuals. I still see newspapers in smaller towns remaining about the same, but newspapers in general will have to focus even more on online/digital platforms.
Five reasons you love your school:
1. You can just quickly hop on the Metro and you’re in the nation’s capital.
2. Besides having a great journalism school, the journalism building is beautiful and certified LEED Gold. I also love using our 24/7 newsroom, which is extremely convenient for finishing last-minute assignments.
3. We have alumni like Jim Henson, Giuliana Rancic and Under Armour founder Kevin Plank. Even 30 Rock’s Liz Lemon fictionally went here.
4. You’ll never run out of things to do since there are so many student organizations you can join and campus activities going on at any moment.
5. Regardless of whether the class size is small or if the class fits in a huge lecture hall, I’ve found that my professors always make time for their students and are extremely helpful.
If you could have any super power, what would you choose?
What is the most interesting article you’ve ever written?
I wrote about and met a North Korean refugee, and listening to her story impacted me a lot more than just reading about North Korea’s human-rights crisis.
One of the most quirky things about you is…
Even when I don’t notice it, I’m always secretly on the lookout for story ideas. I asked my friend a random question the other day and she said something like, “Are you interviewing me right now?” I wasn’t even working on an article!
What was the last (non-required) book that you read?
IQ84 by Haruki Murakami
What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
I remember wanting to be teacher because I wanted to decorate the classroom, so maybe what I really wanted to be was an interior designer.