How do you see the evolution of the newspaper in the next five years?
I think the established national papers will continue to shift their focus online, where they will be joined by a number of small, independent start-ups. In the long term, news-gathering as a profession will survive, the way I see it, because people will always be interested in the goings-on of the world.
Five reasons you love your school:
1. The campus is so beautiful that just walking around puts me in a good mood.
2. The food: Yes, I’m being serious. It’s actually pretty delicious.
3. Cheering on our competitive sports teams fosters a sense of community among students, faculty and alumni.
4. The campus is located in a quiet suburb of Boston, but three subway lines converge near its location, allowing for easy access to the city.
5. There are so many hills — it keeps you in great shape.
If you could have any super power, what would you choose?
The power to teleport.
Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
What was your first online screen name?
Jowl89. When I was trying to think of a good screen name, I looked at my bookshelf and saw a book with the word “owl” in the title. Since my first name starts with the letter “J,” I decided to make my name Jowl89 (obviously).
One of the quirkiest things about you is…
I have a strange accent that nobody can place correctly. People have mistaken me for British, German, Russian and Swedish.
What is the most interesting article you’ve ever written?
This spring I wrote a story on a World War II veteran who traveled to Washington, D.C., on Memorial Day with the organization Honor Flight New England. I have been a WWII nerd since grade school, so getting to sit down with this gentleman and talk for three hours was quite the experience.
If you had to choose a movie title for your life story (so far), what would it be?
What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
An astronomer like my dad.