Jamie Hyneman, left, and Adam Savage of MythBusters.

It’s been a month since I graduated college, and I’m realizing now that many things I had anticipated or believed about post-grad life just aren’t true. I know that many of you are either going through the same thing or will be soon, so let’s debunk these myths once and forever.

1) The “I-have-a-college-degree-so-everyone-MUST-want-to-hire-me” myth.

Sadly, this is simply not true. I have been applying for jobs since November of last year, and so far my e-mail inbox has not blown up with potential employers begging me to join their workforce. A recent article in the Columbus Dispatch reported that nearly 25 percent of the students in the class of 2010 had a job lined-up by the time they graduated. Here’s the good news: Great for them. Here’s the bad news: That statistic only applies to graduates who had been looking and applying for jobs since November 2009.That leaves 75 percent of us (including me) without jobs.Reality check: Actively look for a job. Don’t just wait for that company to find your résumé on Monster. Sell yourself in your cover letter and résumé. Get an internship, even if it’s unpaid. Do whatever it takes to beef up your résumé and impress your potential employer.

2) The “Life-will-be-so-much-more-relaxed-and-I-can-do-anything-I-want-now” myth.

Also untrue. Yes, it’s true that we don’t have syllabi controlling our lives anymore (and thank goodness for that). But that doesn’t mean life isn’t complicated anymore.Yes, these are the days we’ve been waiting for. We’re independent and free to travel the world (or whatever else you so desire to do). However. . .Reality check: Get used to the reality that you will probably have to work a 40-hour a week job now. You’ll have a few hours a day free, so make the most of them. Sit down and write out what you want to accomplish or do in your first year post-grad, then find realistic ways to make those things happen. You don’t have to give up on your dreams.

3) The “I-will-have-so-much-money-now” myth.

Trust me, I’m just as sad about this one being a myth as you are. I was so excited to graduate and not have to pay tuition or room/board costs anymore. But. . .Reality check: Remember all those student loans you took out to pay for your room/board and tuition? Yeah, this is when you start paying them off. If you took out federal loans, you’ll have six to nine months from your graduation date to start paying them off . But you don’t have to get depressed. Remember, we’ve graduated, and this is just part of being done! You really didn’t think you’d never have to pay up, did you?

So while post-graduate life may not be as carefree as we anticipated, it’s definitely not bad either. Four years of hard work have finally paid off. Enjoy it. We have the future to look forward.

Molly is a recent graduate and current intern with the Editorial department at USA TODAY.

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of USA TODAY.