How do you see the evolution of the newspaper in the next five years?
I think newspapers will definitely be moving to more of an online and digital format. In this format, newspapers will be more interactive and will have more multimedia content. However, I don’t think interest in print newspapers will decline to the point of their disappearance in only five years, though.
Five reasons you love your school:
1. UNA’s mascot is the lion, and we have two real lions that live on campus. Their names are Leo III and Una, and they were ranked the No. 1 live mascots in the nation!
2. It might be cliché, but I wouldn’t be at UNA still if it wasn’t for The Flor-Ala. This newspaper has provided me with so many opportunities beyond my wildest dreams, not to mention the people I’ve worked with have really become my best friends and family.
3. UNA is located in the downtown area of the city, and there are great places to go eat and hang out that are close to campus. The city is big enough to offer lots of different restaurants, shopping places and options for outdoor activities, but small enough not to feel like you’re drowning in choices.
4. There’s a fantastic music scene in the Shoals area that has produced several Grammy award-winning artists and bands. The local music scene is great, and there’s always a show going on somewhere.
5. UNA has something for everyone. Whether it’s a particular major or a student organization, there is no shortage of opportunities for a student to find the place on campus that they can call home.
If you could have any super power, what would you choose?
Everyone says this, but it would be teleportation. I seriously hate driving, so it would make my life so much easier.
Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
Mindy Kaling. She’s fabulous, and I’m a little (a lot) obsessed with her.
If you could travel to any country, where would you go?
I’m torn between Greece and India. I think the chance to visit either country would be amazing. Plus, I’m a foodie and I would love the opportunity to eat food from either place.
What is the most interesting article you’ve ever written?
UNA gives out an award to a select group of seniors every fall during homecoming called the Promising Alumni Award. Last year I wrote a piece about promising alumni of years past, which entailed me calling almost 40 alumni from UNA and hearing about their lives since graduation. I interviewed people who have done great things, like working for National Geographic and being drafted by the NFL. It was a very inspiring article to write.
One of the most quirky things about you is…
I have an obsession with college T-shirts. I have one from every university I’ve ever visited and more than enough UNA T-shirts.
What was the last (non-required) book that you read?
I’m currently reading The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. The movie is one of the best I’ve ever seen, and I would definitely recommend the book to anyone looking for a good read.
What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be Posh Spice, but wasn’t it the dream of every girl in the ’90s to be a Spice Girl? For a more attainable and realistic career, I wanted to be a veterinarian. My career choice has changed about 300 times over the last 22 years, though.