How do you see the evolution of the newspaper in the next five years?
I think we’re going to keep seeing newspapers moving online. The University of Southern California came out with a study predicting that most print newspapers would be gone in five years and only the largest and the smallest papers will remain. It’s a little extreme but I think they have the right idea. All of the big national papers and the smaller weekly community ones will still have the print readership but everyone in between is going to struggle.
Five reasons you love your school:
1. The people: Everyone is so passionate, dedicated and hardworking in school and in life. It’s a really inspiring place to be.
2. The location: It’s so beautiful — the campus is right on Lake Michigan. It’s also not far from Chicago.
3. The journalism program: The professors are truly devoted to creating the best generation of journalists. They give us so many opportunities from reporting trips overseas to a guaranteed internship in the U.S.
4. The classes: I’m taking a literature class right now about marriage called All the Single Ladies. There are even classes on wine tasting and reality TV.
5. The student groups: We have everything here from the Happiness Club to one of the largest student-run philanthropies in the country. We also have a group that bakes and sells cookies around campus every night. It’s amazing.
If you could have any super power, what would you choose?
I’ve wanted to be able to time travel since I read the Magic Treehouse books in the first grade.
Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
Uberfacts. It’s not exactly a person but the facts they tweet every day are fascinating.
If you could travel to any country, where would you go?
Egypt! I would do anything to see the pyramids and the Valley of the Kings.
What is the most interesting article you’ve ever written?
Last year I got to interview the Evanston contestants from NBC’s The Biggest Loser. It’s one of my favorite shows and it was so cool to see what goes on behind the scenes of the reality show.
One of the most quirky things about you is…
I’m really obsessed with Hillary Clinton and I’m counting the days until she becomes president.
What was the last (non-required) book that you read?
The Harry Potter books! I can’t stop reading them but I can’t find a class that requires them…
What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher, but decided I didn’t have enough patience.